Saturday, June 24, 2023

Words? This is words, but not everything is

Whether I'm seeing old friends or meeting new people for the first time, when I do this with my AAC the question of time is always there.

Talking moves fast. People are so quick to just say things and move on. They don't realize the time it takes to type this sentence. They don't realize the time it takes to realize what I might be wanting to type.

Time is relevant time is important time is everything and always something that will be part of whether or not I'm able to be involved and included.

But time and choice and communication is complex.

People will ask me how to keep up with a conversation with AAC because of how much slower it is. Most frequently, my answer is, am I even gonna type anything?

Because is that the right way to communicate. It's great and important, and its slow and takes effort.

What about the handflaps and the excitement. What about the pointing. What about the making noises that aren't words but don't have to be. What about any of things.

Because yeah, I type. And I type fast. And I will write up responses for a conversation ahead of time that wil mean that people will end up complimenting me because why did nobody else think of that it made it so much easier for us to move along with someone writing up their ideas ahead of time.

(Sometimes we have the advantage of actually thinking to take the time when we need it. Sometimes we have the advantage of knowing to stop and think when we can, because we have to, when others aren't used to it. Sometimes we have the advantage of knowing how to prepare because we've done it before and we're the ones sharing that this can be done and will make this easier to people who we've not realized hadn't recognized this. It is complicated. It is always complicated.)

I type. And I don't need to always type. I don't need to type when something else is faster. I don't need to type when I have another option. I don't need to type when something else is more natural. I don't need to type if I don't want to. I don't need to always do the same thing.

Sometimes people will start learning to use an AAC method and focus on it, get stuck on it, rather than the more general communication. How do you have people listen, and communicate, and pay attenion, and include you? The focus doesn't need to be one app, one device, one method. There is the question, the idea - how works for you and them and your relationship and getting ideas across and being understood to each other. What's comfortable here, now, with these people, in this situation, in this moment. It's not about an AAC app, its about your communication.

So sometimes, its just what is your natural instinctual reply? When will you be handflapping or bouncing or pointing or running over and picking something up? When will you be trying to get something across without words. When will words be what you want to use? When is what you want and think and do, automatically, the thing that makes sense? Does it? Is it actually what is working for you? Because you don't need to just throw out all the other communication methods that work with these people in this time in this place.

Not everything is words, not everything needs to be words, not everything should be words. Our words are powerful, and our words are ones we use when we want to, and our words are ones we use how we want to. But our words aren't the only communication method that exists.

And truthfully, when it comes to how people listen. They listen better to me, when its not only using my high tech AAC, as much as I will have it with me literally always, and as much as it is part of me. Me bouncing and squeaking and pointing and handflapping and then being oh let me type this out so you can understand my thoughts, is the me that is there and their friend, not a person who is behind a screen without emotions. The me who when you give an answer signs SAME very strongly will get a stronger reply than the me who tries to type any typed words explaining why I agree, because there is no way to explain the importance of agreement it that can explain the intensity of importance. The me who uses words when I need them gets listened to more, when I don't always use them, because I'm faster in other ways, but more so because I'm naturally me and all of the me and a variety of the communication methods are there. I just let myself be, and be fast, when fast is appropriate, and slow when slow is what makes sense.

My words are the words I use when I choose, and how I choose. I don't have to use them always. I can use them when I want and how I want.

Everyone else is fast, and I can't keep up, I never can keep up. No matter how much they try to pause and give me time, its helpful, its relevant, it makes me feel valued, and I'll still recognize the ways I'm feeling slow.

But what speed I'm moving at when I'm responding and how I'm responding can vary and I can be there as I can when I can how I can. I can sometimes be silent and sometimes only be able to reply to a few people and sometimes react quickly in way that aren't words. It can vary. I don't have to make myself try to always do the same thing. I can vary my speed as my speed varies, I can vary my communication as my communication varies, I can do what makes sense in the moment, I can just be me and let myself choose to put the effort where I want in the ways I want. And I can choose to be around people who listen to someone who can sometimes speak with their voice for hours nonstop about the importance of respecting children or proving correctness of programs and at other times can't formulate even their own name typing on their preferred keyboad. I can choose to be around people who let me have the time when processing words is so hard it can take an extended time to formulate even a single word reply with all the supports I have And if I choose that isn't worth the effort, and the best I can do is use signals that I am overwhelmed and cannot, will do what they can to support me as I want.

Because yeah I can use my AAC when I want and how I want, and its still not for anyone but me. It does not matter how much of the time I cannot speak coherently, I don't have to do that for any one at all, except as I want and as I need - it is not about them and it is not their choice and if I wanted to just turn and walk away and have that be the statement of nope not now, then great, that's allowed too. Because its not about allowed its not this is allowed and this isn't.

It's I can do what is right for me, whatever that is, because I am a person.
And I can have relationships with people who treat me as a person.
And its not about one method of communcation, its about communicating, as a person, with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment